Rorque PoissonThe foundations are set and Dubbo should have air flights to Newcastle within six to eight months, Dubbo City Development Corporation (DCDC) general manager Rorque Poisson has said.
It’s part of a much bigger plan the DCDC has to secure Dubbo as Brindabella Airlines’ “epi-centre” and comes after the airline’s CEO on Tuesday told the Daily Liberal it had no plans to service Dubbo in the near future.
But Mr Poisson said the primary role he played in securing flights direct from Cobar to Sydney through Brindabella had established a potentially profitable relationship.
“I actually secured the whole deal,” he said.
Brindabella Airlines CEO Jeff Boyd confirmed Mr Poisson “helped us get the whole thing up and running”.
“He came to us initially to get something up and going at Dubbo,” Mr Boyd said.
Mr Poisson initially wanted Brindabella Airlines to provide a Cobar-to-Dubbo service but it didn’t have the $2 million, nine-seater plane that was suitable to fly between regional airports.
“It was my suggestion” to get the Cobar Shire Council and mines to offer to split the risk and underwrite the costs if the airline failed to break even,” Mr Poisson said.
He said it was “not the best outcome in the first instance” when Mr Boyd then suggested the company trial Cobar to Sydney flights instead of Cobar to Dubbo so it could use its 19-seat planes rather than outlay $2 million.
“But I can see the big picture (and) the end result will be so much bigger and better than a 10-seater flying in to Dubbo from Cobar,” Mr Poisson said.
“The fact that they’ve brought a 19-seater into the region opens up the Newcastle link.”
Mr Poisson said with so many mines in the pipeline around Dubbo “the dynamics have changed significantly” and there was potential to exploit the fact “mining in general is all around the Hunter and Muswellbrook area”.
He said the Newcastle mayor, general manager, airport manager and Hunter Business Chamber had already conveyed expressions of interests during preliminary discussions.
“If there’s a way to share the risk between Dubbo and Newcastle, that’s when it will happen,” he said.
“I’m going to try and wrap this up in six to eight months.”
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.