Police at the scene of Thursday night’s stabbing attack in Narromine.A victim of a knife attack in Narromine last week says he was “lucky” to be out of hospital and walking around today.
The 29-year-old man, who did not wish to be named, escaped with some cuts on his arm, chest and stomach but did not need any stitches.
A 36-year-old woman’s throat was slashed and remains in Dubbo Base Hospital.
She was in a critical condition in the intensive care unit after the attack on Thursday night but is now in a stable condition in another ward, a Greater Western Area Health Service spokesperson said.
A 47-year-old man is alleged to have broken into an Ellengerah Street home in Narromine where the two victims were in the bedroom.
Police believe he slashed the 29-year-old with a boning-style knife causing significant wounding before slashing the woman’s throat, Orana Local Area Command crime manager Rod Blackman told media on Friday.
The alleged attacker’s body was later located at his home about 200 metres away.
At this stage, police are not treating his death as suspicious.
The male victim told the Daily Liberal yesterday that he was still quite sore and was finding it difficult to walk.
“But I didn’t have to have any stitches … I was pretty lucky,” he said.
During the attack, the man’s instincts kicked in and he grabbed the knife from the attacker, he said.
“It was either get the knife or get killed,” he said.
“It still hasn’t really sunk in … I still don’t know what to do.
“It’s something I don’t want to go through again.”
After the attack, the woman managed to get to the neighbour’s house where they called the police.
Narromine mayor Dawn Collins said the incident was “a shock to the whole community”.
“A lot of people are talking about it,” she said yesterday.
“Obviously this is something we don’t like to see in our community … you feel for all the families.”
Police and ambulance were called to the domestic-related incident shortly after 10pm on Thursday, Detective Inspector Blackman said.
They found the woman in a serious condition and the 29-year-old man in a “fairly serious” condition with a number of wounds to his arms and body.
“They were subsequently taken by ambulance to Dubbo Base Hospital and Narromine Hospital,” Detective Inspector Blackman said.
“A number of other resources were allocated
to the township of Narromine, including Dubbo detectives.
Police searched the premises but could not locate the 47-year-old man at that stage.
Following further inquiries, officers attended another address on Manildra Street and entered the home through an open rear door, NSW Police reported.
“Officers found the 47-year-old man’s body lying in a pool of blood.”
The 36-year-old woman underwent surgery at Dubbo Base Hospital on Friday.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.