What’s the worst thing that could happen to you while you’re heating up an afternoon snack? Maybe an explosion in your kitchen?
Nanjing Night Net

That’s not quite what happened to a Dubbo family on Monday, but they sure got the fright of their lives when they thought it had.

Dubbo firefighters were called to a house on Robinson Avenue about 3pm, with reports of an explosion and two children inside.

However, when they arrived, it turned out to be a fault in an electrical frying pan that caused a wire arc, Dubbo Fire Brigade station officer Gary Barber said.

“It made a loud explosive noise … the occupants of the house were taken by ambulance to Dubbo Base Hospital to be treated for shock,” he said.

The electricity from the frayed cord hit a stainless steel sink, causing the noise and there was a burn mark on the sink, firefighter Barber said.

If the owner had been touching the frypan and the sink at the time, they would have received an electric shock, which could cause significant injury, he said.

“It’s not really very common at all for this type of thing to happen,” he said.

“But it can happen more often with older appliances that have the cloth cover instead of rubber on the cord.”

Here are some electrical appliance safety tips to ensure this doesn’t happen to you:

n Use the appliance only for its intended purpose.

n If the appliance is for indoor use only, do not use outdoors.

n Do not immerse the appliance in water unless it is designed for this purpose.

n Keep hands, fingers, feet, toes and hair away from dangerous moving parts, cutting blades and the like.

n Do not use electrical appliances in the rain.

n Make sure you have dry hands when operating an electrical appliance.

n Do not use a damaged appliance.

n Some appliances may not be intended for use by children or people with an illness or disability without supervision.

n Young children should not be allowed to play with appliances.

n Do not place cord extension sockets or portable power outlet boards where they may be splashed or where moisture may get in.

n Ensure ventilation holes or outlets are not blocked or partially obstructed.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Author

admin